My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

So You Say It's Your Birthday...

Today is my birthday. Doesn't feel like my birthday. It feels like just another day lost in a year of 365 days. Why is it when you get older that your birthday is just another day? When exactly does it lose its sparkle?
I can remember being a kid and looking forward to turning one year older all year. I'd usually begin anticipating my next birthday as soon as my party was over. We never had a lot of money when I was a kid. Some folks would call us poor. But my mom went all out for my birthday - she'd invite all of my friends (usually only about 4 would show up), clean the house (although I don't have a clue why she'd do that with 5 rowdy kids about to break out the cake and punch), and she'd bake a chocolate sour cream cake with chocolate frosting (my absolute favorite cake to this day, but only if she makes it).
My husband is so great. He got me a new cd stereo player for my car. It's so great, because I really needed it. My old stereo was just that...old. The CD player quit working about 2 years ago and the radio only works sometimes. Our family LOVES music. We are all musically inclined, whether it be playing guitar, piano, or singing, everyone has a talent. We pop in one of our cds and the whole family sings along. I have missed having music in my car. It makes even a trip to the grocery store worthwhile when your kids are all singing an old Cathedrals song in the backseat, right down to the baby, who mostly just oohs and ahhs with the music.
Today will be a great day...not because it's my birthday, but because God has allowed me to draw breath today....and I get to spend it with 3 of the 4 people I love more than anything in this world - my kids. They know it's my birthday...they've been counting down since the day after we celebrated it last year. They are the best present any mom could ask for.

No comments: