My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Focus Pocus

Our RVP had a 4-hr blitz meeting in Lufkin Saturday and my husband and I drove 3 HOURS to sit through it. Boy, am I glad we did! I learned more in that 4 hours about building business and relationships than I think I ever learned in the corporate world. Probably because I've always worked for companies that "say" they want to help people, but bottom line, they just want to help themselves. Don't get me wrong...we help people AND we get paid an incredibly stupid amount for doing it, but we really help people get out of debt and become financially independent. The first time Floy and I sat down and looked at the gameplan for our family, we were in shock at how far away we were from reaching any retirement goals...we didn't have any real plans for our future...we were like most people - a little saved, no investments, and no income protection,and NO PLAN. But now we're on the road to building that future, and I'm psyched.
ALL that said (I tend to get long winded at times), I have decided I have too many "distractions" in my life. If we're going to get to the top, I have to stay "FOCUSED" on my goals. So I'm closing my ebay store. Part of me is soooooo relieved. Part of me is soooooo sad.
See, I don't really care about the stupid ebay store. I haven't sold much out of it since ebay made those ridiculous changes back in April. What I care about is a few of the friends I have made in my ebay moms support group. We were all talking last week about the fact that we are all so busy in our "other jobs" and motherhood, that few of us have any people in our lives that we'd call close friends. It's hard to make them. When you're a stay at home mom, about the only people you see regularly is your garbage man and the mail carrier. I admit some months I don't pay my trash bill JUST SO THE LADY WILL COME TO MY DOOR to get a check from me! How sad is that?!?! lol Same with the mail carrier...I'd have cookies for her when she came to pick up my ebay mail...lol. Hey...I'm telling you, I'm a recluse! (some of you would NEVER believe that given my *sparkling* personality, I know).
None of our husbands understand it (well, mine "sort of does", because although we met in "real life", introduced by none other than his best friend, David, whom I trained for the phone company before he joined the military to get away from it all, we were living in separate cities at the time - 5 hrs away from each other and we sort of "courted" over the internet between visits to one another). How can you be friends with someone you've never even met? What is a friend, anyway?
Friend - n.
A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement
I'd say that pretty much sums it up for me. I can't explain it other than to say that a lot of us have A LOT in common with one another. In fact, it's kind of scary how much in common we have. And we found each other out of over 1000 groups on ebay. What are the odds of that happening?
I don't want to lose their friendship and I sometimes worry that they will think I'm "abandoning" them...but then I come to my senses and remember if they are truly my "friends", they'll be supportive and encouraging of my decision to quit ebaying. (Are you guys reading this?!?) lol
So...here's to FOCUS in 2006.

No comments: