My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Two! Two! Two posts in one!

First, Stefanie over at Mommy Musings has blagged me. No, it's not a wierd stomach virus meme, I assure you - if you are not up with your blogging lingo, a blag = blog tag. Stefanie chose 8 places she worked, and that works for me...so here we go:

1. My first job was as a "busgirl" at Connelly House - our hometown fine dining restaurant in Homer, Alaska. I was 13 and under the legal age to work, but they paid me $5 an hour in cash and called it "casual labor". I assure you, it was anything but. I worked my tushie off cleaning tables and fending off patrons who had had too much wine with their dinner. I saved over $1000 my first summer working there.

2. My freshman year through senior year of high school, I worked for Thompson's Halibut Charters. I started off in the gift shop, working with daughter-in-law, Connie and by my senior year, I was managing the charter operations. Fun, fun. Had to be at work by 5:00 am every morning and couldn't leave until after 5 pm when the boats were in. I have some great memories of those days, believe it or not!

3. Commercial fisherwoman - such a lofty title. Yes, I fished commercially on a boat on the rough waters of Alaska - just one summer after I graduated - and I hated every minute of it. Sleep deprived, hard labor, nasty men. You name it, I dealt with it. Those are not good memories.

4. Fish Processor for Schelske family. Also called "the slime line", I gutted salmon and filleted it all day with my best friend, Dina and about 40 men. We were the only two girls. Which came in handy, because we were working for the Schelske brothers of North Santiam fame. Craig is the only one you might know - he was recently divorced from Sara Evans (the country singer). I don't know what happened there, but he was a straight arrow and a nice guy when I knew him. I loved all three of those guys - they were so great to us.

5. During my two years of pretending to go to college, but really only going to choir because it was the only class that held any interest for me, I worked for Dillards in the jewelry department. 'Nuff said.

6. After making the decision not to waste any more money on college tuition, I went to work as a full time nanny for a couple in Anchorage, Alaska. He was the publisher of the ADN and she worked as the HR director for ERA aviation. Then she got pregnant again and she left work to stay at home and got me on at ERA.

7. ERA Aviation gate attendant. I was the gate attendant because I had no stinking clue how to do anything but smile and open the door. Hey - I was only 20! I learned very quickly, however and moved up the ranks and within a year of working there, I was a Sr. Ticket agent...which is a fancy term for the turnover was so high because the management was so bad that I got seniority really fast.

8. Fast forward 17 years and 4 jobs later...the best job I've ever had is the one I have now...full time mom.

Ok, your turn. Here are the rules:

Each player starts with eight random facts or habits about him or her self.
These blagged chosen ones are to write posts on their own blog about these eight facts.
They are also to post these rules.
At the end of their blog they will list eight people they have chosen to blag by listing their name and a link to their blog.

Now, if you have known me for any time, you know that I simply cannot bring myself to tag anyone, for fear they won't play. So...consider yourself tagged if you read this and then if you don't want to play along, you don't have to!

I did say there was something else, didn't I? Oh yes...dear sweet Megan over at Fried Okra has given me this "nice matters" award:

She said the nicest things about me, too!If you haven't checked her blog out yet, you really need to - she's terrific! I didn't know my blog had bells and whistles, I'll have to pay more attention, I suppose. Although I have noticed it's looking a little busy, but I'm not sure how to clean it up...any suggestions?

Okay, I'm off for a bit, but I promise to update on the goings-on for the last few days while I've been MIA. There has been a very important reason why I've been gone and I can't wait to share it with you.
Technorati Tags: , , ,

post signature

No comments: