My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lost: Blogging Mojo



Last seen: August of 2009 (or thereabouts)

Reward: $1,000,000


Oh, I kid about the reward...I'm still trying to figure out how I'll get to the Blissdom conference next month in Nashville. It's only a 5 hour drive - I have a bloggy friend (a fellow homeschooler and blogger) who has offered me a ride with her (shared the fuel expense - can we get an amen on that!?!), but I have yet to figure out the conference fee ($299) or the hotel room ($125 a night for 2 or 3 nights). Oh, and I haven't asked my husband yet about going - that's sort of the clincher.

He doesn't read my blog anymore (especially since I never post..ahem), but I sort of lost my blogging mojo there for a while because of the financial difficulties we were going through (who wants to hear about those, really?) - I was down in the dumps and really just unable to find anything amusing or uplifting to write about. Plus, I didn't feel that I had liberty to talk about our personal goings on without making him feel badly or that I thought it was his fault (which it wasn't).

My blog took the back seat as I really needed to work to earn some extra money to keep us afloat. God has been so good to us and my little business. I have fabulous clients and have not had a shortage of people interested in my services, ties were recently severed with the company I was doing subcontractor work for (and though I can't design any Christian author blogs or websites until June, it's a BIG relief), and I recently redesigned my website.

Here's the problem...once you LOSE your blogging mojo, how do you get it BACK? I have thought so many times about writing a post about the effects of the surgery I had a few months ago (see - you didn't even know about that, did you!?), my experiences while shopping for a wig, and the feelings I have about losing my hair...but I just haven't done it.

I think reconnecting a bit with some of my blogging peeps (church member reading this: that means "people") might be just what Dr. Mojo ordered. Now, I just need to get out and earn my keep so I can pay for this thing.

I created this photo yesterday in Photoshop as part of an exercise in the Smashing Magazine's Design Something Everyday -- it is a good representation of how I've felt lately...distracted. I dare not join in on any blog every day exercises. :)

Hoping I'll find that mojo cocktail soon - I've really missed connecting with all of you. And I haven't had a comment on my site in months. That's something I SO miss.




Look on the bright side! Subscribe via my RSS feed.

10 comments:

Lona said...

Well, lookie here! Sounds like you've had a wild ride. I can really relate to not wanting/being able to blog. If and when you figure it out, will you blog about it so I can glean from your wisdom?

Lisa B @ simply His said...

Well, I already told you who you could share a room with ;) If not Chilihead (split the room 2 ways) then with us (split 5 ways? but someone's sleeping in the tub!) LOL! Either way I'll pray for you to be able to make it. I think it will be fabulous and you'll get more mojo back than you've ever seen ;)

Amber @ Classic Housewife said...

Surgery? Hair? What?

If you find your mojo, I'll stop by and comment on your posts. So long as you post a link on Twitter, because I may or may not ever get around to reading them in my Google Reader! (I guess I've lost my Google Reader mojo?)

Kim from Hiraeth said...

**waves**

Hi, Karen!

: D

I can't find my blog said...

I really miss you! I love your posts, regardless of the topic. I've found that actually pushing myself to post every day (like in Nov.) helps with the mojo. Also, recipes help when all else fails. We all need someone else's favorites now and then (our old ones get tired!).

And? I'm with Amber...surgery? hair? Do tell! Well, if you're ready, that is.

Love you, friend, and praying that God makes a way for you to get to Blissdom!

Liz said...

well, hello there!

And I understand about not wanting to post about financial problems. Me too. But, really, it's the victories I like to read about, so maybe that's something you would like to post?

Thank goodness for feed readers, huh?

Emily said...

I've missed you! Can't believe you've had surgery and ... everything else that has been going on!

I think we all like to present a positive facade on our blog (and I"m not trying to say that's a bad thing). But sometimes life is hard, and those of us who care about you want to be there for you.

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

Wow, you have a lot going on! It's good to take a break. But if you want to get back into it, here are some ideas:

~write about something completely different, nothing you've tackled before
~guest post for another blog
~do you have a goal for the new year--personal, professional, etc? share that

Just some ideas...hope to see you back soon.

Dorothy said...

Glad to have you back, Karen. About that blogging mojo, I say just do it, force yourself if you have to, and the mojo will return.

Hope you are fully recovered from that surgery now. And that things are looking up financially.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I dream the collection should have more info then it has.