My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Gloom, despair and agony on me



I used to love Hee Haw when I was a kid. Of course, I was pretty innocent back then and missed out on 99.9% of all the innuendoes. One of my favorite things was watching this segment - the "gloom and doomers". I don't really know why -- maybe it was because I grew up dirt poor and that reminded me of my uncles and cousins or my neighbors Billy-Bob and Wanda and their three kids, Jim-Bob, Joe-Don and Mary-Sue. And the best part? Wanda was a tobacco chewer, complete with the Folgers spit can.

But now that I am an adult, I have a sneaking suspicion it was really because it was good to see that someone else was having problems like my family. I grew up so poor that I didn't even know Sears and Roebuck was a real store until I was 9 years old. I always assumed it was a "wishin' book"...that's what everyone in my family called it anyway. At least until it was banned from our household the day my daddy caught one of my brothers "wishin'" for one of those underwear models...but that's another blog entirely.

As a Christian, it is difficult for me to watch others in pain. Almost as difficult as it is to BE in pain (whether it's financial, marital, spiritual or what-have-you). The Bible tells us to "bear ye one another's burdens" and I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Sometimes I am so caught up in my own "wishin'" that I forget to take my eyes off the catalog and realize that there are so many people hurting out there just like me. I also forget to thank my God for the many blessings He has seen fit to bestow on our family.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that God is so good that I'm going to praise and thank Him for the good AND the bad. It's the very least I can do to be thankful...especially for a God who loves me so much that He sent His only begotten Son to die in my place. I am humbled when I think about what Jesus did for me. And thankful that I don't have that gloom, despair and agony to look forward to, but the peace and joy that comes from knowing that I am a Child of the King with an inheritance that is out of this world.

Technorati Tags: , ,

post signature

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Karen only you could write something meaningful and still have a sense of humor! (your brother and wishing book LMAO)

Lisa

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Good grief, Karen. I would've swore we grew up in the same town! To this day, if my kids start whining I see that Hee Haw song. I thought Sears was a 'wishin book' also. For me it wasn't Wanda with the Folgers spitoon, but it was Patsy...sittin in her camping chair, close to her bug zapper so "them critters don't bother her Harlequin love book readin' time"! Once again, I love reading your blog!