My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Why I Homeschool...

A friend sent this news article to me via email. It is an older article, but the subject matter is still relevant. Please visit the link and then come back and share your thoughts in the comments section.

I am astounded that there are teachers who feel it is okay to discuss this type of thing in the classroom. On one hand, I have had a couple of public school teachers tell me "It's not my responsibility to raise other people's kids and instill morals and values"...which I happen to agree with. But on the other hand, I feel that some teachers are just pushing the boundaries too far by discussing issues with such young children. First and second graders?

This is the exact reason I am homeschooling...not because I don't want my kids exposed to this type of thing, because they'll be exposed eventually. You can't shelter them from all the issues of the world, but I homeschool because I want to present it from a Biblical perspective.

And before some people go off on me about being "tolerant" and "forgiving" as a Christian, let me assure you that I am not attempting to judge homosexuals here, simply the adult nature of the course matter being studied. I stand in agreement with the Bible when it says that it is a sin, but so is lying, adultery, theft and murder.

What are your thoughts? Am I simply overreacting?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket




Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fully support gay marriage, but I would have a problem with a teacher reading that book to my kids at such a young age. We have a lesbian couple living across the street, so my oldest daughter (8) knows that sometimes men marry men and women marry women. We tell her it's okay to love either a man or a woman and to want to live with that person always. Sorry - but I don't think it's a sin. But obviously the teacher did a BIG no-no. Stick to the approved curriculum and let the parent be the one to introduce such a controversial topic.

I don't think you are overreacting, but I also hope you don't think that all public schools are bad. The teacher made an error of judgement.