My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Flashback to 1987

Top ten songs on the Billboard charts: (and I knew them by heart)

1. With Or Without You - U2 (I used to sing this with so much emotion as I was driving around in my Volkswagon Jetta - to no one in particular of course, but I had faith that one day, if I just held out, I would get to sing it to a real live boy!)

2. You Keep Me Hangin' On - Kim Wilde (again, to no one in particular, because at the time, I had no boyfriend.)

3. C'est La Vie - Robbie Nevil (my happy, feel good song about the prospect of punching a clock when I graduated because there was no way I could afford college and no way I was getting a scholarship - sort of a salve for my wounded ego.)

4. I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) - Aretha Franklin & George Michael (first love - Jimmy Holdermann, whereever you are, thank you for waiting for me!)

5. At This Moment - Billy Vera & The Beaters (this was my song choice for our annual Spring Concert at school - I was soooo cool)

6. I Heard A Rumour - Bananarama (I. did. not. like. this. song.)

7. Heaven Is A Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle (ahh...summer of 87, out of school, my first taste of freedom...not quite heaven on earth, but at least I got to stay out past midnight)

8. Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House (summer was almost over - I was trying to figure out how to have my cake (Jimmy) and eat it too! - leave for college)

9. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship (Felt totally invincible - Jimmy and I decided to be friends and rekindle next year - I mean, seriously, who was possibly going to come between us and our love?)

10. Lady In Red - Chris De Burgh (I wore red to my senior prom because of this song - I was head over heels for Jimmy and couldn't imagine my life without him...he sang this in my ear as it played on the gym's loudspeakers...one of the last dances we ever attended)

My favorite movies of the year: (in no particular order, because if I had to put them in order, then you'd know that Dirty Dancing was my all time favorite movie of the year)

Three Men and a Baby (Tom Selleck, Magnum P.I. Need I say more? Oh..and Leonard Nimoy directed - I love him!)

Baby Boom (my favorite line, uttered by J.C.: "Now look. There is nothing in the world to get uptight about. We are two summa cum laudes. We can handle one little baby for eight hours.")

Dirty Dancing (did I mention this was my favorite movie of the year? - My hair was even cut like Frances', but that was not on purpose -- mine looked like that before I ever saw the movie..I promise)

Planes Trains & Automobiles ("Those aren't pillows!" -- I still say that to this very day. One of the best lines from any movie ever, in my humble opinion)

Predator (Come on...it was Ahnohld - I loved me some Sci-Fi!)

The Running Man (The year is 2019. The finest men in America don't run for President. They run for their lives - another Arnold flick)


Top 10 TV Shows (I had no social life to speak of, apparently, because I watched most of these)

1. The Cosby Show
2. A Different World
3. Cheers
4. Growing Pains
5. Night Court
6. The Golden Girls
7. Who's the Boss?
8. 60 Minutes
9. Murder She Wrote
10. The Wonder Years

So what were you listening to, watching, reading, and doing in the year you graduated?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

Fresh Girl said...

Goodness, I didn't know we were the same age -- I graduated in '87, too! So, a lot of these hit home. ;) I wasn't so much into music, though probably if I could hear all those songs, I'd remember them, but going just by titles, "At this Moment" and "Lady in Red" were my favorites of the ones you've listed. I also loved The Bangles' "Walk Like an Egyptian," but I think that was in 1986.

Somebody else who will admit that "Dirty Dancing" was her favorite movie of the year! I actually didn't see it until January of '88, when someone in my dorm rented it and a bunch of us crowded into her room one weekend and stayed up most of the night watching it over and over. I think we managed to get through four viewings that night. And yes, (*ahem*) this was a private Southern Baptist university. hee!

I watched all the shows except maybe "Murder She Wrote" and "60 Minutes." I loved "Hill Street Blues," too, but I think it ended that year.

Good times!