My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

WFMW: Out, Spot!

Here is something I learned the hard way...never try to remove a stain with a paper product! You are likely to succeed only in creating a lightened bullseye, with the dark spot smack dab in the middle. Like a spotlight...."look here, I'm a spot!" The reason, I read somewhere, is that paper products have been bleached somewhere in the manufacturing process. So rubbing that napkin or paper towel on your garment is probably not a good idea.

From Laura at "The Secret Pocket", a tip to remove spots:
Instead, use two clean washcloths or towels, a dry one under the spot, and a damp one to work the stain with. Also, rather than using a rubbing or circular motion, use a dabbing motion. Wrap the cloth on your index finger and repeatedly "poke" the stain.

For stubborn stains, incidentally, I like the Carbona series of removers. You can get these, in small yellow plastic bottles, at your fabric store, drug store, grocery or mega-mart. Note: Consult the back of the bottles, under the label, to see which specific stains can be removed with which number bottle. I have even used these, very cautiously, on dry cleanable garments. Test first (yada, yada, yada), then use a wooden toothpick to apply tiny amounts to the stain. Be sure to have an absorbent cloth under the stain to suck the liquid right through.

Head on over to Shannon's for more Works for Me Wednesday tips!

Photobucket


Technorati Tags: , ,

4 comments:

CC said...

thanks for the tips!

Shalee said...

Hmmm... I've not heard of the Carbona series. I'll check them out as I've just finished the last of my stain remover this week!

Flea said...

I'm a big fan of OxyClean, which I buy at Sam's and it lasts at least a year. LOVE it.

Melissa Markham said...

Great tip. I have used the paper towel method! It is bad, bad, bad!