My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Name Game

I have had the same personal email name for close to 13 years. Oh, the extention changes with services like hotmail, yahoo, and finally gmail, but the "root name"?It's always been the same.

But after yesterday, I'm seriously thinking of changing it.

I called a major hotel chain in Baton Rouge because we have a business trip planned for the end of July and this time we are going to take our kids.

I stated to the reservations guy that this was a business trip and I'd like our corporate rate, along with two beds, because we'd have guests in the room with us. (I didn't bother to tell him it was going to be our kids)We chatted briefly about the attractions close by while he checked on our rates and when he was finished, he asked if I wanted an email confirmation.

Without thinking, I said "sure!" and launched into telling him my personal email address. There was complete silence on the other end of the phone. In fact, I thought I'd lost him entirely.

"Hello? Are you still there?" I asked.

"Um...yes. I'm sorry. I'm emailing your confirmation to C-A-L-L-G-I-R-L..."

Immediately I understood the problem. He'd misheard me and I busted out laughing because I could just imagine him sitting there booking a room for two nights on 'official government business" where there would be guests and sending the email to 'callgirl___".

When I was able to catch my breath, I shared with him that my email was NOT callgirl...it was TALLgirl. We shared another laugh as he disclosed the fact that he was trying to figure out how to get his name off of that reservation before closing it out.

Oy vey.

Photobucket

Look on the bright side! Subscribe via RSS.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is too funny. I rent out our beach condo to short term vacationers and I often as for their email address. You wouldn't believe some of the addresses that I get! I'd be embarassed to give it out. Do people not think about these things :-)

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

hee-hee.

Dorothy said...

What a great story! So, so funny!

Gabriela said...

So funny! Sometimes it can be hard to get an appropriate name you want on some e-mail servers. Maybe you want to host your own?

Tracy said...

LOL this is why I have a gmail that is simply my first and last name. I use it for business purposes and family/close friends. It's easy for them to remember, and it doesn't sound unprofessional.

Emily said...

oh, that is too funny. once i was giving my email address over the phone, and this was 10,15 years ago or so -- kind of the dark ages. and it was a hotmail address back then. so reading it back to me, she says,"now is that mail or male?"

like hotmail or hot MALE?

ay yay yay!

mzzterry said...

cute story, call girl...errrrr...tall girl!!

Flea said...

Too funny! I'll bet your honey is liking that one. :)

I've also had the same email for about 15 years, changing only providers over time. I just love that it's fleabyte. :)

Unknown said...

That's quite humorous. Thanks for making me laugh!

Gina said...

Hilarious!
I also love the cat on the treadmill. Makes me wanna go out and buy a treadmill...and a cat! LOL!