My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Swiss Family Robinson we are NOT.

My two daughters recently built a tent outside - obviously, they have never read Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson, or they'd know that you don't accessorize a teepee with poison ivy. Yes, the calamine lotion has been flowing freely at our house this week.










Look on the bright side! Subscribe via my RSS feed.

30 comments:

Shara said...

Oh my goodness! I know that wouldn't be near as funny if I was the one itching. Bless their hearts!

Amber said...

OH NO!!!

I'm HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy. I sympathize from the bottom of my heart.

p.s. In my experience, Ivarest (with calamine, benadryl and something else I can't recall) is better than plain calamine lotion. It's thicker and forms a protective layer and relieves INSTANTLY! Good luck!

Misty said...

it's beautiful, but wow... that's unfortunate...

LaDonna said...

Aw, poor girls! I hope they are getting better!

Sonya said...

Oh no! How sad that their cool creation caused such misery! "The Sister House"....how sweet!

emily said...

oh dear. a hard way to learn the old 'leaves of three, let it be' rule, right?

Rachel C. said...

Poor kids! I am insanely allergic to mosquito bites (I don't die or anything, they just get HUGE and puffy). I can only imagine what would happen if I got into poison ivy. Hope they feel better soon!

Abbreviated said...

Don't forget to wash EVERYTHING. Pjs, sheets ...

Have 2 highly allergic family members.

ENT's use to give shots, but the government stopped them for some reason.

We learned the hard way that it spreads if sheets & pjs are not washed.

Katy said...

Oh, those poor girls!

Mzzterry said...

So sorry they itch...but what a very, extremely COOL tent, great work!

grammy said...

Beautiful tent. They will remember this forever. It will go down in family history.

ispeakbeanish said...

Oh no! I can sympathize. I got a horrible case of poison ivy when I was about 14 after doing yardwork for a elderly lady in our church. It was pure misery. I hope it goes away quickly for them!

chilihead2 said...

Oh no! I could never tell what poison ivy was. Everyone says it's easy, but I could never spot it. I would have totally adorned the tent with it. Poor girls.

Rose said...

Oh what a harsh harsh way to learn that lesson. And it was such a pretty teepee!

Scribbit said...

Okay how did you do it? The pictures look so beautiful--I mean it's a fun teepee and everything but you make it look like art!

Dorothy said...

It is a lovely teepee but what a decorating faux pas! Poor, itchy girls!

Stitchblade said...

Really? That is poison ivy? I am so THANKFUL that I must not be allergic! My oldest daughter is highly allergic and has had it several times. It is MISERABLE! Poor kids!!! Great job on building a beautiful tent though!

TheAngelForever said...

Nice to see that you can see the beauty of the teepee after the poison ivy invasion. I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Mel @ A Box of Chocolates said...

That is one heck of a teepee they built. So creative!! That stinks that it was on top of the poison ivy. Now I will be itching all day too.

dianne - bunny trails said...

Aw man, what a bummer to find out your home decor causes skin problems. It sure looked good, though!

The Fitness Diva said...

Wow... looks kind of creepy! The stark black and white gives that effect..

Marie said...

Great teepee! Hopefully the poison ivy won't discourage them from making another one! What a fun little hideaway.

"J" said...

They did a great job making the tent!!! I feel soooooooooooooooooo BAD for them!

When I a little girl I would stay the summer at my Nanny's (my moms mom)! Any ways...I had a *summer* friend that lived behind my Nanny and we would play together each and every day! We had what we called a "CLUB" lol! We had our own theme song, handshake and we would collect what we called tokens (different grass, leaves, flowers and sticks out of the yard! Guess what one of our tokens was?!?! Yep! A batman leaf! lol! Poison oak! We didn't know...well, until my whole face was covered in it!!! Toooooooooooo funny! Your post took me WAY back to my kiddie days!!! lol

homeschoolceo said...

Oh, that's too bad. It was such a valiant effort. They did a wonderful job. Hope they are feeling better soon!

Natalie @ I AM (not) said...

very good. very good indeed

Kallie / Asian History said...

Ah, these beautiful childhood mishaps!

My sister and I used to go to our "fort" and squirt winterberries at each other. Found out later that they are toxic...

It's true, though, you never forget these thing!

I am Boymom said...

Oooohhh Nooooo! The teepee was fantastic!! Are your daughters in the Future Architects of America Club? One day they will look back at this and laugh their butts off! Happy itching, girls!

Flea said...

Ooooo. Brutal.

Madeline said...

Ouch! At least it's a lovely tent that they can be proud of. Although they'll just have to view it from afar instead of actually playing in it. Hope the itchies end quickly!

Sharon Ellery said...

Beautiful and dangerous! Ouch. They'll just have to admire their creativity from afar now :-(