My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Monday Wrap Up

I just love a whole wheat tortilla. You can take a wide variety of items and insert them in the center of it, roll it up and you've got a tasty "wrap-up" treat. Sort of like this blog post, only you'll probably be more satisfied when you eat the Wrap=up vs. reading it.

I took this weekend off of the computer for some much needed creative rest and I must say that I feel so much better. Oh sure, I miss twittering and reading everyone's blogs, but there was something liberating in making the decision NOT to be online for a few days. I checked my mail and posted some things I had already written, but other than that? I was spending the time with my kiddos and my sweet, supportive husband.

What I've noticed is that I have a tendency to fool myself into believing that I'm working online when I'm really not. I'll say I'm researching something for my next blog design (and I always start out doing that), but I always end up twittering or following links to interesting articles or blogs or finding some other equally wonderful way of goofing off. I'm really good at looking busy and not having one thing to show for it at the end of the day. Isn't it funny how you can spend hours online and get virtually nothing done? (yes, that pun was totally intended.)

The schedule is helping tremendously. When I was a buyer at Nordstrom, my collegues would tease me about my self-imposed deadlines for having my to-do list tasks completed, but it's always been something that has helped me accomplish the mundane and ordinary that I would otherwise not even begin. (Did you get that I'm a procrastinator in the largest sense of the word from that last statement? If not, you should have!)

Anyone that has known me for any length of time knows that I am a fan of Stephen Covey and his book "7 Habits of Highly Effective People". It was required reading if you were in management at our Anchorage, Alaska store and it was a book that revolutionized the way I set goals and prioritized my days when I was working a job outside of the home. What's so terrible is the fact that I allowed myself to edge away from some of his principles as I became a stay at home/work at home mother - a job where I needed goals and organization more than ever before.

I will be compiling a list of 8-10 books that have changed my life and the way I frame things (besides the most obvious one - the Bible). I'll stick it over in the sidebar for anyone who wants to see what they are - not that I expect anyone to read them, mind you, but to some extent it will help to satisfy my ever-present desire to mentor and train someone other than my children. And why am I including this? I actually have no preconceived notions other than the fact that everyone else has a list of books on their sidebar and I'm nothing if not a joiner...so why the heck not?

Anywhooo...I have something SO EXCITING to tell you that it's WORTHY OF THE CAPITAL LETTERS. (And I'm not screaming, I promise, but there's some serious fun on the horizon and I just can HARDLY wait to share it with you) But I can't yet. And it's totally killing me, because I like to share - I was taught by my mama to share. Actually, she taught me not to tease folks, but that's too difficult to resist!

Oh, and no one guessed Saturday's Mystery Photo, so I left it up through Sunday. Did anyone even notice? (I didn't think so).


In just a couple of days, I shall be announcing July's giveaway, so be sure to check back to see what kind of goodness I've got up my sleeve this month!

Photobucket

Look on the bright side! Subscribe via RSS.

4 comments:

World's Greatest Mommy said...

Oh sure...now I can tell what it is.

And the teasing...it's really very mean...and smart. I'm drooling to know your secret.

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Oh my word. That's what I thought it was, but I couldn't figure out the shadow. Sneaky.

Fit Mommy said...

Wishing for more time to read. My list of books includes Marathon Woman! Awesome book, by the way.

Flea said...

A microphone! No the heck way would I have gotten that one!