My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Well, chap my hide!

There are only a few things that really burn my butt (clorox being one...but that's another story)...the one we will discuss for the moment is found in this news article.
Why is it that many lawmakers feel it is their prerogative to tell me how to raise my children? While I do not presume to know everything, this I do know (and it is based on the Bible, thank you very much - so if you do not believe the Word of God, you won't believe this) - Proverbs 13:24 states that "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes".

I am not condoning physical abuse, nor do I think that spanking is always the answer. But there are times when "the board of education applied to the seat of knowledge" is the only answer. Ever wonder why the seat of knowledge has so much padding? This lawmaker wants to outlaw the use of sticks, rods and belts to spank a child. What does that leave? Your hand. Your hands were made to hold and love your children. It's confusing to them when the same hand that just chastened them then wants to turn around and comfort them.

I did notice that for them moment this bill is geared towards toddlers aged 3 and under...which is a moot point, because they need proper discipline even at that age. My kids rarely require that type of discipline (AJ needs more than the other two) but just the thought that my right to discipline my own children in MY OWN HOME would be illegal?

And for the record, I try not to use my hand, nor do I use a 2 x 4. I use a paint stick...small and flat -- about 1/8" in diameter. It's painful when happening, but like labor, once it's over with, the pain is forgotten. I do it because I LOVE my children...I don't enjoy it, but I don't remember anyone ever saying you have to love everything that comes with parenting. I don't love everything that comes with marriage either, but if I never washed and folded clothes, we wouldn't have anything to wear!

Burns my butt....remind me to tell you the Clorox story sometime...

post signature

No comments: