My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://simplyamusingblog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

13 Things I Wish My Dad Would Have Told Me Before He Died


My dad died in December of my 9th year. Right before Christmas...that time is a blur for me now. But it's okay, because I know I will see him again one day in Heaven. :)

1. "I won't be here for Christmas this year."

2. "I want you to have my wedding ring."

3. "You are an intelligent and beautiful girl. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently."

4. "Don't marry the first man that is nice to you. Wait for the right one, because you are special and you deserve someone who will love you the way I do."

5. "It's okay to cry and not to be strong for your mother when you're only 9."

6. "Save yourself for marriage - it's the only part of yourself you can truly give to your husband when you marry him."

7. "Start your family when you are young - you'll have more energy. You'll never have enough money, so don't wait."

8. "There is nothing wrong with not wanting a 'career' outside the home. I'll be just as proud of you if you make your family your career."

9. "I'm sorry for the bad example I've set for you and your brothers. I know having a father for a drunkard is hard."

10. "Remember the words 'delayed gratification' - you don't have to have everything right now."

11. "Be yourself, because people will like you for who you really are, not for who you want to be."

12. "God loves you so much that He sent His Son to die for you...you really need to start living for Him."

13. "I love you."

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





Technorati Tags: ,

post signature

10 comments:

Lori said...

May he rest in piece...Dad's never seem to say what we want or need sometimes. I think its a guy thing. Happy TT.

Dana said...

Hi! I randomly found your blog because we share some similar interests.

I think you would be interested in my blog, it's about women's health and fitness, check it out!

http://asizableapple.blogspot.com

Hope to see you around the site soon!
- Dana

Anonymous said...

Karen, the upside here is that you seem to have learned the truth in those statements that you wish your father had made when he was alive.

I'm guessing that it took longer than if you'd learned them from a parent. I'm sorry for that.

Sandee said...

Very well done. So very well done and repeated so many times. What a wonderful thing you did putting it down for others to see. Who knows how many will relate to what you have said here. Bless you and have a great TT. :)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think that he has been whispering to you all these years, and you have heard it. That is the proof there.

1UP RPG said...

I'm sorry that you lost your dad so early. What a beautiful list, though.

Bob

Kimberly said...

Hey Karen,
I have a question. Have you ever used Switched on Schoolhouse? My daughter is going into the 9th this year, and I want to make sure she is well prepared for college. (Now if I can just find it at a good price :))

Anonymous said...

A great excersise. I think I'll play it in my head about my dad, if I can without crying too much.

Waht happened to 12 and 13?

Natalie said...

I'm a single mom and my kids' dad has chosen to not be very involved in their lives. Your list is a great reminder of things that I need to say to my children often.

Thank you.

I'm sorry you lost your dad so early.

MeL said...

I'm sorry about your dad. Dads are really like that. They don't say much and they're not so expressive with their feelings unlike our mom.

Anyway,it's my first time to join TT. Have a nice day! :)